Edmonton: Man arrested after ‘driving BMW into police station’

A man has been arrested after reportedly ramming a car into a north London police station before starting a fire on the road outside.

Footage shows the suspect being tackled to the ground by a brave member of the public following the suspected attack at Edmonton police station. Counter-terror officers are supporting local police with the investigation.

Scotland Yard said a man in his 40s had been arrested on suspicion of arson and other offences in connection with the incident. Road closures remained in place at the scene following the suspected attack at about 7pm on Wednesday.

In one video seen by the Standard, a man in a grey hoodie is seen getting out of a dark car, thought to be a BMW, embedded in the crumpled doors of the police station.

He retrieves what looks like a jerry can from the car before starting to pour a trail of clear liquid from the vehicle out into the road.

As he paces in front of traffic a police car is seen pulling up nearby. The man bends down before the road suddenly erupts in flames, causing terrified passersby to flee as he throws the jerry can to one side and walks calmly back towards the pavement.

Further shaky footage appears to show a member of the public then tackle the man, before he is pounced on by two police officers.

The police station was evacuated and a large cordon thrown up outside. Officers returned to the station at about 10pm.

No injuries have been reported so far.

The Met said the vehicle had been examined by specialist officers.

One man who works nearby said: “It was shocking. I saw the man crash his car into the front glass door. At first, it looked like an accident that he lost control.

“But he got out of the car and was insistent about getting further into the police station. The second door was all smashed up. No-one could get in or out. When he realised he couldn’t he casually got out and started pouring petrol on the back of the car and then the middle of the road.

“He was so calm. He wasn’t ranting and raving.”

The father-of-one, 34, had tried to keep people back from the scene.

He added: “A motorbike tried to get out of the way. This was all in-front of people waiting at a bus stop. I can’t imagine how terrified they were.

“He was pouring petrol everywhere leading to the car. But thankfully he left a little gap, so it didn’t burn all the way to the car. God knows what he had inside the car.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.